I spent Tuesday afternoon at the ceramics studio with Gary Rith, my totally awesome ceramics teacher at Cornell who makes the coolest mugs and teapots and pitchers!! They are frequently beagle or elephant adorned and you can check out his website or blog to see them!! Also his blog currently has pictures of me on it. All the more reason to look at it! Anyway, on Tuesday Gary showed me how to use underglaze to draw on pottery and I practiced on some test tiles which just came out of the kiln and I am SO EXCITED ABOUT THEM!!! I drew Harry, Ron, and Hermione casting spells along with a monster, and Jenny and Aaron from Girrrl!!!
Totally magical!!
A very excited Jenny with a skeptical Aaron.
Also out of the kiln were some more things I threw on the wheel-- They all have kind of a blue/white/green pallet. I'm not sure how I feel about it.
My first lidded vessel!
Another mini-pot. My dad requested it!
I ate ice cream out of this very bowl just last night! Love it!
Also: I have the email addresses of some important people at Cornell. If you are interested in writing to them and telling them that you don't want the ceramics studio to close, let me know and I will give you the contact info!! Don't let the studio close!!
Laura, I love the Harry Potter tiles and the mini pot. So cute!!!
ReplyDelete--Emily
Oh Laura, how thoroughly fantastic! The pottery and the tiles, wow! I hope that when you are FAMOUS you will remember us little people! I knew you would take to the underglaze painting, and gosh, you got it immediately didn't you? I was telling the wife that you are a pleasant person, and if the studio does close, I may have a class with one or 2 students at a time here in my studio......
ReplyDeleteCongrats, and if you have not, share some of these pics on FB too!
I love your Harry Potter ceramics! Also, my singing dinosaur bag came in the mail today! YAY!
ReplyDeleteThanks, guys!!! I am so glad you like my work!
ReplyDeleteAnd yes, Gary if the studio closes we will definitely have to keep in touch. Artists have to stick together!
And Deirdre-- Yay!!! I am so glad you liked my dragon enough to get a messenger bag! I would love to see it!!!