Friday, October 12, 2012

Melfina the Mutant Fawn-Giraffe Bio-Android Easel

This is a post about my new half French easel-- I bought her a couple of weeks ago and she is gorgeous and I love her. She looks like some kind of strange and beautiful three legged wild animal, like a mutant fawn-giraffe. 

I asked the girl in the art supply store what made it a "half French" easel and she said that it is half the standard size for a French easel. I was hoping maybe one of its parents was French and the other was Turkish or Australian or Nicaraguan or Texan or Egyptian and that they had some kind of star crossed love affair that resulted in a bi-racial easel baby, but no, it is just half size.

French easels are cool because they have all kinds of screws you can adjust and parts you can move, so that you may fold it up into a box for easy transport. This is also how she was packaged when I brought her home from the store, so I spent a lot of time unfolding all of her gangly limbs from this box and it strongly reminded me of an anime I used to watch in Middle School and High School called Outlaw Star, which is about space pirates and alien cat girls and a bounty-hunter/womanizer, and many other things as well. 

Setting up my easel reminded me specifically of a part early on in Outlaw Star when our bounty-hunter/womanizer hero comes into possession of this mysterious giant box/briefcase thing, which turns out to be carrying a hot naked bio-android girl (one step more human than a cyborg, but still made with robot parts), who rises out of the box much like my easel rose out of its box to stand for the first time. She later goes on to operate a space ship and have an identity crisis. 

The hot bio-android's name in the show is Melfina, and I thought it would be suitable to name my new easel after her. When Cartoon Network aired Outlaw Star, they gave her clothes because kids watch Cartoon Network, but you get the idea.



And here is Melfina the easel, set up in my bedroom/art studio, surrounded by works in progress that I have not yet posted. Consider this a sneak peek. 


2 comments: